Thursday 24 October 2013

I have been researching the stages of heart surgery for my project, but soon realised I needed to choose a specific type of heart surgery before I could continue. I chose Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (Off Pump) because it gave me the biggest range of things to draw, whilst remaining a fairly straightforward surgery to explain through the use of illustration. I also decided to focus only on the surgery itself, and not on the prep or post surgery care as this will make my booklet more concise.

The 8 main stages I have identified are:

1. The chest is opened via a median sternotomy and the heart is examined by the surgeon.

2. The bypass grafts are harvested and the patient is given Heparin to prevent the blood from clotting.

3. The surgeon places devices to stabilise the heart.

4. One end of each graft id sewn on to the coronary arteries beyond the blockages, and the other end is attached to the aorta.

5. The stabilising devices are removed.

6. Protamine is given to reverse the effects of Heparin.

7. Chest tubes are placed in the mediastinal and pleural space to drain blood from around the heart and lungs.

8. The sternum is wired together and the incisions are sutured and closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment